New Delhi: Liquor baron Vijay Mallya, who has been declared a proclaimed offender, was arrested by the Scotland Yard in London on Tuesday morning following India’s extradition request.
A few hours later, the Westminster Magistrate’s Court granted Vijay Mallya bail.
“Officers from the Metropolitan Police’s Extradition Unit this morning arrested a man on an extraction warrant. Vijay Mallya was arrested on behalf of the Indian authorities in relation to accusations of fraud,” Scotland Yard said soon after Mallya was held.
Mallya was arrested after showing up in a police station and subsequently appeared in the Westminster Magistrate’s Court for the bail hearing later.
India had in February requested the UK for Mallya’s extradition according to the rules of the Extradition Treaty between the two countries. Mallya is accused of defaulting on bank loans worth 9,000 crores and is facing charges of money laundering.
Also Read :
- 5 things men wished women understood
- Overeating? Your brain cells may signal ‘stop eating’
- UNBELIEVABLE: You may never drink Coke again after reading this!
- 5 of the most haunted places in the world, one is alwar India
- 10 Ways To Burn That Fat Away While You Sleep
- Paracetamol ‘not clinically effective’ in treating joint pain